The Newberries Maths Curriculum strives to:
- Create confident mathematicians, mathematicians who are problem solvers.
- Hold number and place value knowledge alongside mental calculations at the heart of the curriculum to enable our pupils to understand the mathematical connections within real life contexts.
- Give the systematic teaching of reasoning and justification a very high priority throughout the Foundation Stage, Key Stage 1 and beyond to ensure that children have the skill set to brainstorm, explain, prove their thinking and use these strategic thinking skills to identify efficient mathematical methodology.
- Ensure that writing and notating their answers as well as thinking process is a crucial part of our curriculum. By the end of Year Six our children will have developed key knowledge and understanding in expressing their mathematical thoughts and ideas clearly through a variety of ways i.e. pictorial representation, bar modelling, part part whole modals, full sentences and more.
- Give all pupils the opportunity to express their opinions, articulate feelings, listen to and respond appropriately in a range of situations thus enabling them to participate with different groups of children to present ideas with confidence whilst valuing the views of others. Children will leave us speaking audibly and confidently using mathematical vocabulary correctly.
Fluency and Arithmetic are both important parts of our Maths Curriculum.
At Newberries Primary School, our children are signed up to have their own Numbots account, to help them practise their mental addition and subtraction facts. We believe that playing little and often will significantly improve children’s recall and understanding of number bonds and addition and subtraction facts, which are critical foundations in maths.
There are two game types:
1. Story Mode – the emphasis is on learning the ideas and concepts behind addition and subtraction so it features more diagrams, shapes and question styles.
2. Challenge Mode – the emphasis is more on speed of recall of key facts, like number bonds to 10, doubling small numbers or adding & taking away in your head.
We encourage Reception to Year 3 to use Numbots. Login in from home with your child’s account to get practising by following this link: https://play.numbots.com/#/intro
At Newberries Primary School, our children are signed up to have their own TimesTable Rockstars (TTR) account, which is a very carefully sequenced programme of daily times tables practice. It has been designed to engage children within their times table facts through gaming, music and their own Rockstar avatar and then provide quick, exciting and fun opportunities to rehearse these facts.
Each week concentrates on a different times table, with a recommended consolidation week for rehearsing the tables that have recently been practised every third week or so. This format has very successfully boosted times tables recall speed for hundreds of thousands of pupils over the last 8 years in over 14,000 schools – both primary and secondary – worldwide.
We encourage all KS2 children, from Year 3 to Year 6 to use TTR. Login in from home with your child’s account to get practising by following this link: https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth
Times Table Songs
2x table (by Twinkl Kids’ TV)