Pupil Premium and Free School Meals
If your child is eligible for ‘free school meals’ and you register them for this, we will receive extra funding called ‘Pupil Premium’. We use this extra money to improve the educational provision and resources at our school.
What is Pupil Premium funding?
Pupil Premium Funding from the government is given to schools to help pupils reach their full potential, irrespective of their background or financial situation. It is provided for pupils who:
- Are registered for free school meals
- Have been registered for free school meals at any point in the past 6 years
- Are, or have been, in care
- Have parents in the armed forces
At Newberries Primary School we receive extra funding for every eligible pupil who is registered for free school meals. This extra money could make a real difference to the quality of education we offer.
For example, we have previously used Pupil Premium funding to support eligible pupils with:
- Educational provision/resources
- Academic interventions
- Wellbeing and self-esteem building interventions
- Access to school trips and experiences at a reduced cost
- Free school milk
Is my child eligible for free school meals?
Your child might be eligible if you access:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM) - Pupils in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2
Currently, pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a free school meal as a result of a different government funding scheme known as universal infant free school meals (UIFSM). You should not confuse UIFSM with free school meals and Pupil Premium.
If your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 and is eligible for free school meals according to the criteria above, you should still register because we will receive the extra Pupil Premium funding.
Does my child have to eat the free school meals?
No. Pupils who are registered for free school meals do not have to eat them. If you are eligible, but you want your child to have packed lunches, you should still register because the school will receive the funding to support your child in other ways.
How do I register?
You only need to register once at the school. If you think your child may be eligible for free school meals please follow the link below: