At Newberries, we aim to provide a PE curriculum that allows pupils from Reception to Year 6 to experience a range of activities that help them to develop their health, fitness and wellbeing. We intend to offer a high-quality Physical Education Curriculum that inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. It provides opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as respect, resilience and teamwork.
The national curriculum for PE aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time
- Engage in competitive sports and activities
- Lead healthy, active lives
- Understand the effect nutrition and exercise has on their bodies
We aim to ensure that the children’s experience of Physical Education is positive and motivating and that children’s attitudes to a healthy lifestyle are firmly embedded in our curriculum.